Setting up your LoRa mPCIe Smart Gateway card requires only a couple of simple steps, which will be described here.
LoRaWAN Network Stack Installation
The LoRaWAN Network Stack is a server that allows you to manage gateways, devices, applications, and users on the LoRa card. This cloud of data can be viewed and managed on different devices. The following instructions will walk you through the setup of the LoRaWAN Network Stack.
NOTE: These steps can only be done using the Linux operating system (OS) terminal. Currently, there is no support for Windows OS on the Occam front end.
- To begin, download the OccamDocs.zip file onto your computer here. Store and extract the files in a location of your choice. Note: For this example, we will store them in the Desktop.
- Install the mosquitto backend client:
- Move the provided mosquitto config to the appropriate location:
Note: replace “Desktop” with the file location of your choice from Step 1.
cd Desktop/OccamDocs sudo cp mosquitto.conf /etc/mosquitto/conf.d/mosquitto.conf
- Install the OCCAM tools:
- Go into your Files folder on the left taskbar. Click “Other Locations” and then “Computer” and navigate to the following folders: /var/lib/lora/loraauth.yaml
Open up Terminal for Linux (press CTRL + Alt + T) to enter the following command lines:
Note: Press Enter after each line. Copy and paste the lines into the terminal using CTRL + C to copy and right clicking into the desired location in Terminal and clicking Paste.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mosquitto-dev/mosquitto-ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mosquitto sudo-apt-get install mosquitto-auth-plugin
sudo dpkg -i occamsmart-network-server-stack\(1.0.2\).deb sudo dpkg -i occamsmart-packet-forwarder-v1.0.0-ubuntu.deb sudo apt-get install -f
- Record the default admin password in the loraauth.yaml file for the next few steps.
Note: if the computer has been reset before this step, then the password has been lost. Please start the installation over.
LoRa mPCIe Smart Gateway Card Setup
After downloading the OCCAM network stack, the following steps will show how you how to set up your LoRa card so it is ready for use.
- Login to the OCCAM stack:
- Open up a web browser and type: localhost
- Enter the following credentials:
- Username: admin
- Password: retrieved from network stack installation step 5
- Input the application credentials:
- Click “Create New Application”
- Enter a name for your application (no spaces)
- If you had an Application EUI and an Access Key for your device enter them here, otherwise just press create and they will be generated for you
- Register your device with this application:
- Click on your application name
- Press “Register New Device”
- For OTAA: Enter the Device EUI (generated from step 2) and optionally the App Key.
- For ABP: Enter the DevAddr and optionally the AppSKey and NwkSKey
Upon doing these steps, your LoRa mPCIe Gateway card is registered and can be managed and monitored through your devices.